Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Beautiful Basilan

This fantastic view is the first and last thing to greet you as you arrive and depart to and from Lamitan
It seems like a shocking thing to say, but I can honestly state that Basilan has to be the most beautiful place I have stayed in Philippines thus far. When I finally manage to convince myself that terrorists aren’t lurking behind the bushes or hiding in the cupboard I can enjoy the scenery and lovely people. ngiti! which means smile in tagalogThe truth is that it’s an untouched paradise. Beautiful coconut trees line the shore line, children play in the streets, small wet and dry market stalls line the main road and majestic mountains provide a stunning backdrop for rice fields. Combine that with the cultural experience of falling asleep and waking to the sound of a call to prayer and the quiet solitude in between, I’d say it’s got to be one of my favourite places to visit. I’m not sure that I would recommend everyone plan their next holiday there, but I do know that I enjoy going there to check out the progress of our fish pond project.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home