Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Help, I'm becoming a filipino driver!

Crazy drivers in ManilaI don't care what anyone else says, the people here are crazy drivers! I have recently started driving in the Philippines and I can't believe how intense it is. It's one thing to get used to driving on the right (or is it wrong) side of the road and on the left side of the car, but getting used to the traffic is another thing all together. I've been finding my way around the province okay. Occassionally I get a scare from someone who brakes suddenly or a tricycle who pulls out in front of me but this is nothing compared to my last scare the other day. I had just driven 4 hours from Munoz in Nueva Ecija where I am now doing language study and no sooner had I reached EDSA (a major road in Manila) did two buses sandwiched me. One pulled across in front of me and just stopped to let passengers out so I pulled left to avoid him another but then another one cut off my escape route leaving stuck between the two with nowhere to go. This was in the middle of the road mind you, not the side! But I'm slowly adjusting. I'm finding that you have to join them in some form of craziness in order to survive on the roads here. In the back of my mind I am thinking, "What on earth is going to happen when I try to drive in Australia again". I know some of my friends already think I'm a crazy driver, but come and visit me and I'll show you some that I will never surpass in craziness.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Hey Mike! I can't believe you're actually doing the unthinkable...driving in that crazy place! Either you're really crazy or you're really really crazy...err, I mean brave. Hope all is well with you there and know that we are thinking of you and praying for you.

12:06 am  
Blogger Kaz said...

hey mike ((((Mike)))) I finally found this place after finding one of your business cards... I just had to sign up for a blog to comment though since my other name I didnt think would have been a good idea to use ;) anyway its good to know you are doing well :) sounds like lots of fun in the phillipines :) take care
~Kaz

7:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home